September 2, 2011

My Promise to My Girls

My name is Stephanie and I am addicted to social media.  There I said it and it makes me feel a little better.  Sure I have Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, a blog, Snapfish, and those are just the ones I look at each day.  So it should come as no surprise that I have been fascinated by the talk around the book "Maggie Goes On A Diet."  I usually open minded and really pay little attention to taking a stance on something like this, but I am going to make an exception.

I knew almost 5 years ago what I was getting into when we found out we were having two girls.  I would be the one to potty train, do most of the bathing, not be able to sit and eat a meal without having to take a child to the restroom at least 4 times, I will have to have "the talk", deal with women issues, and so much more.  I was willing to handle all that (although let's be honest when we found out we were having two girls it was a little late to decide that I would be ok with all of this). 

I was raised to be happy with who I am and to have a strong sense of self.  I have never been a true girly girl (I love to get all dolled up but on any given weekend you will find me hair in a pony tail, no make-up, and a swim suit).  Like me for who I am or don't either way I am fine with it (thanks mom!). 

Already we get the questions like "mom why is that girl wearing her underway to the store (loudly of course in the Wal-Mart line)?"  I was prepared and think I did a good job of responding by saying "hunny everyone dresses a little different from one another and that is ok." 

Fast forward to last week and thank goodness the girls were not in the car with me when I saw someone walking down the road, looking like what can only be described as wearing a hooker type outfit (oh you all know what I am talking about), when I found myself saying "you be lookn' like a ho" (although I did not roll down my window and yell such). 

I began to wonder if I was really ready to set a good example for my girls.  So when I read about this book and know of all the issues that girls grow up having to deal with, it can be a little scary.  My friend Amy wrote a great blog post and it got me to thinking.  So here is what I promise to you Ella and Grace (with at least a few readers to remind me of this promise):

  • I will raise you to have self-confidence and be happy with the person you choose to become.
  • I will never knowingly let you out of the house wearing anything that would make someone wonder if you were a hooker or make them want to yell "you be lookn' like a ho"
  • I will teach you to respect that everyone looks different because god wanted to teach us acceptance of others.
  • I will teach you that you can look just as good in a black tie affair dress and a pair of pj's with no make up.
  • I will teach you to respect yourself so that others will respect you.
  • I will teach you that you are the most beautiful person in the world and not to let anyone tell you other wise.
  • I will teach you that you don't have to look like a particular image to be happy with who you are.
and lastly, and perhaps the most important....
  • I will teach you that when your daughter asks why you have a roll on your tummy to respond that it was because your perfect stomach was taken away by growing two little girls in your tummy, who now occupy all your time so that you can't do the workout that you want to get back that flat stomach.  (ok who I am kidding that is really my lesson to myself and who I am kidding to think that I will ever look the same as I did  prior to having the girls). 

1 comment:

  1. I love all your promises to your girls! I'm going to have to steal them for my own girls :) I'm glad I'm not the only one this touched a nerve with.

    ReplyDelete