February 16, 2012

Is Honesty really the best policy?

Stacey and I have always worked to teach the girls that they need to be honest.  For example, if I asked you to pick up your room and you did not do it, tell me so and I won't be mad.  Lie to me and tell me you picked it up and then the dog messed it up and you will go in timeout and get a punishment.  I should have known that the whole honesty lesson would come back to bit me in the butt. 

It all started on Tuesday morning when our entire house just needed to go back to bed and start the day over because we were so cranky.  We finally made it out of the house, only 10 minutes late, and not really starting the day on a positive note.  On my drive to work Stacey called and said the girls wanted to talk to me.  Ella was very sweet and apologized for not listening like a big girl and for being fussy.  Then she wished me happy valentines day and handed the phone to Grace.  Grace started to say she was sorry and then asked Stacey, "what did you say that I had to tell her again?"  At least she was honest. 

So fast foward to Thursday morning when the three of us girls are getting ready in the bathroom.  Ella asks me, "mom why is your tummy so big?"  My nice response, "because I had two babies and you and sis made my tummy big."  Ella's response, "yeah but we are 5 mom so why is it so big?"  I just changed the subject and thought well at least she is being honest.  Now when you have twins, what one does so must the other.  So enter Grace with her words of wisdom.  As I am putting on my dress, it got caught on my bra strap and I asked Stacey to take a look and help me.  Grace chimes in "mommy why are you wearing a dress that is so small when you are so big?" 

You know sometimes you just have to laugh and move on. 

PS just so you know girls, you too will one day look like your mom and I am here to say that for 33, having had two kids, and such a busy life, I think i look pretty darn good!  On a side note, I will recall these comments and use them with you when you are older....as your Nana jawhawk frequently says to me....Paybacks are hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment